Day 9 and today I was a slower rate to getting up. After sleeping at 11:30pm last night, I was awake around 6:30am but was lying in bed, and then sitting up, and trying to meditate. I didn’t have my phone with me, so was trying to go it solo. Sort of worked, but in any case, it was a good half an hour of half sleep, half meditate which left me feeling gently starting the day.
Today, I’d like to talk about the “Standing Desk”. As an office worker I used to sit 7+ hours a day. Sitting lead to slouching, lead to poor posture. Then about a year ago I decided to make my own standing desk to see how it felt. I had it for probably 9 months before getting a proper standing desk which has been so much better.
The advantageous of standing to do your work over sitting for me included:
- Always moving around and adjusting my stance
- Better posture – easier to slouch sitting down than hunch standing up looking at a monitor
- Burn some more calories, though how much more is apparently not much, but every bit helps
- Don’t trip over chair legs, so more space and less clutter
- Makes for an interesting talking point for people who aren’t used to seeing a standing desk
- Get to see more people and things day to day as you can see over partitions which you wouldn’t normally see over
- Occassionally do squats and stretches while standing which i would never do if i was sitting in a chair.
I ended up getting this standing desk for work, and it works well. Gives me more clean desk space to work with as it doesn’t seem to collect dust at all when elevated compared to the standard desk.
If you have issues with your back, or geting good posture while sitting and find yourself slouching all the time, a standing desk could be a good choice. It also has the ability to go into sitting mode if you get tired, but I don’t use that. It takes a while for your body to get used to and you get a bit of tired legs at the start, but you soon get conditioned to it.
The used to say “sitting is the new smoking“.
Now saying all of this there are now articles about sitting isn’t as bad as it was made out to me as well now:
To me, I’m not really phased either way. Overall I think it has had a positive impact to my health, and at least i’m not slouching in my seat all the time now.